Me

My photo
Bay Area, CA, United States
Music wakes me and keeps me going all day, every day. I’ve had a love for music since childhood, and it’s only intensified as I’ve matured. Musings On Music was inspired by Kenny Lattimore. I saw him perform in 2008 and realized there was something in his music that spoke to me on a level which said I needed to write about what I witnessed. I’ve been writing ever since.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Heavy Rotation – Yes by Musiq Soulchild

Welcome to the first installment of “Heavy Rotation!” Each week, I will profile either a song, album or artist that I have on continuous playback.

Musiq Soulchild has the honor of being the first artist of the song I currently have on repeat. The song on rotation in my iPod is his latest release Yes. If you have been a follower of Musiq's career, you know that he has several songs where he opens his heart and puts his feelings on display for all to see.

Don't Change from Juslisen, Betterman and Today from Luvanmusiq, Special, Someone and SoBeautiful from OnMyRadio and of course Yes from Musiqinthemagiq are just a few examples.

Yes is essentially a reassurance to the one he loves. While the lyrics are different, Don’t Change and Yes have the same premise – no matter what we go through, no matter what happens to you physically, I will always be there for you.

The chorus for Yes is a great summation of why this song has been stuck in my head this entire week: “When two or three years from now/you start having some doubts/’bout if this love will last/the answer is yes/I'll still think your beautiful cause I'm more attracted to what's inside of you/you don't have to guess/the answer is yes.”

The accompanying video does a great job of bringing the song to life. Depicting a woman who is battling breast cancer, it follows her journey while Musiq offers his support through her difficult times.

Visually, the video does an excellent job of bringing the song to life.

This would make a great first dance song at a wedding. 

1 comment:

T. M. Johnson said...

Now you are going to have that song stuck in my head all day (LOL)! I agree about the video -- it really does illustrate the song well.