Me

My photo
Bay Area, CA, United States
Music wakes me and keeps me going all day, every day. I’ve had a love for music since childhood, and it’s only intensified as I’ve matured. Musings On Music was inspired by Kenny Lattimore. I saw him perform in 2008 and realized there was something in his music that spoke to me on a level which said I needed to write about what I witnessed. I’ve been writing ever since.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Heavy Rotation – Soon As I Get Home by Babyface


Happy Friday!

This song was selected as my "Heavy Rotation" by coincidence. The other day I was listening to my iTunes library on album shuffle, and up pops Soon As I Get Home by Babyface.

It’s been awhile since I heard this song. Appearing on his 1989 release Tender Lover, the premise of the tune is simple – if the guy you’re dating isn’t treating you right, Babyface most definitely will.

He has no issue with paying rent, buying clothes, cooking a good meal and being a faithful lover. All a woman has do to is wait for him to get home from work!

The chorus:

“I give good love
I'll buy your clothes
I'll cook your dinner too
Soon as I get home from work
I'll pay your rent
Your faithful lover
Soon as I get home, soon as I get home from work
Girl, I'll treat you right
And I'll never lie
For all that it's worth
I give good love (good love, good love, good love, good love)”

Soon As I Get Home  is a refreshing reprieve from the “women are gold diggers” mantra that some men have adopted as of late. Here, you have a man willing to lay out the cash, cook and never do a woman wrong.

Not only that, he won’t even flirt! He’ll probably pay for dinner if you become tired of his home-cooked meals (but with a man like this, would you even dare complain?)

Second verse:

“It doesn't make sense
That you should have a broken heart
If I were the only one
I'd never let you fall apart
You're the kind of woman
That needs a man with lots of cash
With a stack of major credit cards
And with me you don't have to ask.”

Does this man really exist?

2 comments:

T. M. Johnson said...

I just heard this song is a movie last night, "Our Family Wedding". The men in the movie were using it to say one of their friends was "whipped" (LOL)! I think it's a nice sentiment.

Anonymous said...

Does this man exists!?!? When you meet him, ask if he has a brother for me!!!